Panzerkampfwagen II were produced in larger numbers than originally expected, to serve as a stopgap vehicle until production of the Pz.Kpfw. III e IV series picked up. The earlier Ausf. II.A had been used as the carro da combattimento in Poland, but it was no match for the heavily armoured carri armati Char B1 e Somua which the Wehrmacht encountered in Francia the following year. Pz.Kpfw. II.F received better frontal armour e many of the older Ausf. A, B e C were uparmoured to this standard as well. From 1940, the vehicle served primarily in plotoni di reconnaissance of cinque Pz.Kpfw. II.F attached to compagnie, battaglioni e reggimenti carri. For the invasion of Russia a flamethrower variant, the Pz.Kpfw. II(Fl) was produced. Surviving veicoli were withdrawn from the Eastern Front in 1942 e converted to Marder II tank destroyers, mounting a 7.5 cm PaK 40.
Due soldatini, diorama base e Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. F
- Tipo: Main Battle Tank
- Lunghezza: 4.80 m
- Larghezza: 2.29 m
- Altezza: 2.00 m
- Peso: 9.5 t
- Armamento: 2 cm L/55, mitragliatrice MG 34
- Velocità: 40 km/h
- Equipaggio: capocarro, guidatore, cannoniere
- Year: 1940-1943
Scale model con much raised detail e some external stowage.
Good choice of subject, a very important e versatile model.
Choice of open o closed torretta hatches.
Many small parts make this a more difficult vehicle to build. Road wheels need to dry at least 24 hours before the tracks are fitted. It is best to skip step 3 of the assembly process initially e return to it after the vehicle is finished.
The 2 cm gun (part #14) does not have a peg which fits into the mantlet, it must be trimmed to the right length e then carved to a point which will fit into the hole.
The body assembly proved more difficult than expected. The upper deck did not fit well onto the lower hull e track assembly, large cracks appeared. Clothes-pins had to be applied to hold the deck firmly in place while it dried.
Capocarro not included. The tank may be modelled con an open torretta hatch, it would have been nice to mount a figure in it.
Approximately 5% smaller than the 1:72 scale figure standard. Not a problem in this case, the vehicle is the only one on the market ed it may be deployed in formation alongside Pz.Kpfw. I e Pz.Kpfw. III produced by Fujimi e Matchbox.
- Aufklärungszug (Reconnaissance Platoon) of cinque Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. F
- Panzerkompanie, 1940-1942
- Panzerbataillon, 1940-1943
- Panzerregiment, 1940-1943
- Decalcomanie e camouflage schemes for the following units are included:
- X. Panzerdivision, 14. Panzer Korps, Eastern Front, Summer 1941
- XV. Panzerdivision, Afrika Korps, aprile 1942
- Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. A, 1939-1940 (plotone carri con cinque veicoli)
- Pz.Kpfw. II(Fl) (Flamingo), flamethrower, Eastern Front giugno 1941 – marzo 1942
- Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. G(?), rearmed con a captured cannone da 37 mm L/33 francese. The gun was mounted centrally through the existing mantlet, e the tank lost its coaxial MG. In 1941, one each of these veicoli was issued to Pz.Kpfw. II platoons.
- Sd.Kfz. 131, Marder II (tank-hunter) con 7.5 cm PaK 40, maggio 1942-1945
- Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf. L (Lynx), reconnaissance vehicle con 2 cm L/55, 1944-1945
The Pz.Kpfw. II is an important vehicle which saw much more combat than expected. The vehicle had an interesting e varied career, which began as a carro da combattimento during the 1939 invasion of Poland. Less than a year later, Pz.Kpfw. II were relegated to reconnaissance duties in Panzer formations now operating the mass produced Pz.Kpfw. III.F as their new main battle tank. Flamethrower, reconnaissance e tank-hunter conversions extended the service life of the vehicle until the end of the war. Compared to other Matchbox kits, this particular vehicle is relatively difficult to build ed it requires carful attention e patience from the hobbyist. Since many Pz.Kpfw. II e Marder II conversion will be required for wargaming purposes, we recommend that entire plotoni of them are produced in assembly-line fashion. Given some experience con the kit, the model builder will achieve more consistent results in less time per vehicle.
Domande più frequenti
Per ulteriori informazioni, per favore contatta la redazione di Rivista Military Miniatures nel Miniatures Forum.